Sunday, August 01, 2010

In a Pickle

Last year our neighborhood started a community garden. I enthusiastically signed up for a plot, only to fantastically fail. This year, I set the bar low with two goals - to not kill everything and to harvest at least one item.

It's gone better than I would have asked for. Out of three cucumber plants, I canned 30 jars of pickles! I watched my Memaw and mom can for years. I've never had a big interest in it because I'd have to buy the produce at the store. Having home-grown produce to can has been really exciting.

In addition to cucumbers, we've harvested a few beans and peppers. The tomatoes are arriving. I'll continue dreaming of amazing gardens that some of my friends are impressively growing. But for now I'm satisfied with my modest progress.
Now that the tomatoes are going nuts, I'm making salsa, tomato soup and am going to try slow roasted cherry tomatoes.

Do I dare try growing a fall crop?

4 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so impressed!

That looks like a little bit more than modest progress to me ... and you followed through with canning, which can't have been a small job.

Amy B. said...

Go for it! (fall crop)

Krista said...

I don't know about my garden being amazing- I had my share of failure this year! But thanks for the compliment ;) Your cukes look great and I am certainly impressed by the canning!

Go for it with the fall crop! Green leafies are super easy!

susan said...

How wonderful! To can and grow your own vegetables. I just joined a community garden in my own town. It's just getting off the ground. Hoping to have plots in September. I am just blog hopping & know that we all like comments. Happy Day & keep on growing:)