Saturday, July 17, 2010

Technology and Memories

I have a lot of vivid memories from childhood. As a kid I often pestered my mom to tell me stories about her childhood and my own childhood. I believe those frequent reminders helped me retain so many memories.


Fast forward to today. We have a computer in our kitchen. The screensaver rotates through our photo archives. Desmond loves looking at the photos, asking questions about them and then describing them.

Many of his memories are already being reinforced verbally and visually. I can't help but wonder if he - and other children of his generation - will have memories of earlier ages than I would have ever imagined.

1 comment:

Krista said...

My family was also crazy about telling stories- but Jim's isn't and it is funny to compare how much we remember. I feel like retelling stories gave me a huge sense of self and belonging and pride about my place in our family. It is funny to think that as a parent I am now the keeper of the stories instead of the listener... somehow it seems like a big responsibility!!