Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Charlotte Fern

It happened! Charlotte Fern Kraft arrived into the world on November 4th, 2011 at 9:13am weighing 8lbs 5oz at 20.75 inches long.

I'm not even sure where to begin with my thoughts about this little girl. Having Desmond has taught me how to love babies. Loving him and watching him grow into a fantastic three year old somehow makes me love baby Charlotte all the more. It's easier for me to slow down and just enjoy holding her, marveling that just a few days ago she was "alive" inside of me.

After Desmond's one week stay in the NICU, it was sheer joy to cuddle Charlotte while in the hospital. Once again, the staff at INOVA Fairfax hospital gave us excellent care. They seem to really enjoy their jobs and do them well. Peter and I both found inspiration in their excellence.

Desmond has been excited and kind to his little sister so far.
He speaks to her in the sweetest voice. It brings tears to my eyes.

So we have a newborn. Wow. I have no clue how anything will ever get done without family around to help. I see other families do it, but cannot fathom how it will ever happen here again. But as Scarlett O'Hara said, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."

For those of you who didn't learn about this via email, Peter issued the geek challenge (see below) to figure out Charlotte's details. Carl M. won the bitcoin prize by submitting the first correct answer. He has generously donated his bitcoin to Charlotte's college fund. :-)

-------------- The Peter Challenge --------------
Now for the geeky part.  The reward for the first correct answer is 1 bitcoin.
Birth time = base64 decode the following: OToxMyBBTSAtIE5vdmVtYmVyIDR0aCwgMjAxMQo=  
Birth weight = A xor B, where...
A = Charlotte Fern Kraft - (A is a byte stream represented by 8-bit padded ASCII, trimmed whitespace)
B = e0gRHRkBEAdLDmhFR05PPhwCAwc= - (B is a byte stream represented by base64 encoded data)

6 comments:

Allyson said...

Take it one moment at a time. She is bee-u-tee-ful.

Our family said...

Yay! Congrats! I am so glad things have gone well this time! She is beautiful. I think her eyes looks just like Desmond in the top photo.

Anonymous said...

God has blessed this already blessed family with another child. Love her and God will give you some many wonderful rewards in return. She is a beautiful baby.

Krista said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Congratulations :)

Al and Lyndsie said...

She is so beautiful Katharine! And I am so glad you were able to snuggle with her much soon than last time. I don't know how people get through life with newborns and toddlers either but I guess I'm soon to find out as well. I really like your perspective and quote that you'll think about it tomorrow. I think I'll adopt it for my own! :)

Suzanne Rogers said...

She is adorable! Big Congratulations!