Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reviewing a Year Through Books

Desmond is almost a year old. Hard to believe. One of the ways I'm remembering his first year is to look over all the books I've read. The first six months of nursing allowed me to read while Des ate. This was quite a luxury to me since I wasn't expecting to read much with a newborn around.

Despite the encouragement of my friend Kate N., I haven't started using Good Reads...yet. Until I do, here's a plain ol' text list of the books I've read in the past year. You'll see I went a bit heavy on the fiction, probably in reaction to all the pregnancy/baby books I read before Desmond arrive.

I didn't enjoy all of these books and I'm not endorsing all of them. I will say my favorites were Liar's Poker and Ender's Game.

The Haj, Leon Uris
Letters to My Younger Self, a collection of essays
The Drunkard's Walk, by Leonard Mlodinow
The Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan
Chasing Fireflies, by Charles Martin
Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch
The Hidden Art of Homemaking, by Edith Schaeffer
Liar's Poker, by Michael Lewis
Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Echo
Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert
Click - What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why It Matters, by Bill Tancer
Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Girlfriends' Guide to the First Year, Vicky Iovine
Secret Believers, Brother Andrew
Dakota: A Spiritual Geography, Kathleen Norris
Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver
When Crickets Cry, Charles Martin
Baby Whisperer, Tracy Hogg
Happiest Baby on the Block, Harvey Karp
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - Marc Weissbluth
Babywise, Gary Ezzo
Life of Pi, Yann Martel
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
Ender's Game, Scott Orson Card
Speaker for the Dead, Scott Orson Card
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Predictably Irrational, Dan Ariely
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, by Douglas Hofstadter (only the first third...it's going to take me forever to finish)

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hi Katharine!

Didn't you also read "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely? I thought I remembered talking about it with you.

In any case, I've got a couple of books in my suitcase ready to take to you and Peter when we see you next month-- one is from Katie, and the other is from Larry. And I also have a couple for Desmond :)
Love,
Stephanie

Katharine said...

Stephanie - You're right! You loaned that one to us. I missed that one somehow. It's added now. Thanks!

Both Desmond and I can't wait to see what you're bringing. :-)

Libby said...

Hi Katharine,

I, too, was amazed by how much reading I could do while breastfeeding. I happen to like "Ender's Shadow" and its three sequels even better than "Ender's Game," so I recommend that next time you are at a loss for something to try (ha, ha, it looks like you keep plenty on your "too read" shelf!).

Best
Libby G.

Al and Lyndsie said...

Wow, no wonder you are such an interesting person! I never had the "read gene." It takes a lot for me to pick up a magazine and browse through! I think that is the number of books I've read in my whole life! lol :). I must say though some of those titles make me curious enough I might just have to visit the library.

Katharine said...

Libby - you're the second person to highly recommend "Ender's Shadow". So as of now, I'm planning on reading it soon. :-) I love hearing other people's recommendations. You get a neat peek into who they are. A perk of being a librarian I suppose. :-)

Kate said...

I'll take the literary recommendations any way I can get them. Thanks for sharing! :)

Mike said...

Glad to you liked Liar's Poker!