Why do I love my beat-up, 16 year old car? Since you asked....
- Visibility. My blind spots in this car are few and far between. Good visibility will be high on my list if we ever have to replace Charlie. Trust me, a pregnant lady really appreciates not having to twist her torso in order to see traffic behind her.
- Great A/C. I don't know how he does it, but my little car's air conditioning is even better than the A/C on our 2005 Subaru. I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to.
- Reliable. Yes, Subaru's are reliable in general (another important quality in a car), but Charlie goes above and beyond. In 11 years I've only broken down on the side of the road once.
- Durable interior. Thanks to Armor All, the interior still looks pretty good. (I love Armor All...to the point where I use it as a verb. "Peter, have we armoralled the cars lately?")
- Takes curves at speeds most cars can only dream of. Subaru + Mountain Girl. Need I say more?
- Doesn't go much faster than 60. Some people might see this as a detriment, however, if you can't go over 60 without the car shaking a bit, it actually makes driving more relaxing. You're not constantly evaluating if you should pass the car in front of you or change lanes, etc.
- He leaks oil. I think all older Subaru's are fated to this state. At least all the old Subaru's our family has ever owned.
- No cup-holder. Oh I live for the day to have a sturdy, stable cup-holder built into my car! I tried the attachable ones, but it's just not the same. Charlie's successor will definitely have a cup-holder.