Monday, August 11, 2008

Extroverts

Lately I've hung out with some people I previously only knew at arm's length. Peter and I had a lot of fun getting to know these folks better. It has me reflecting on how special it is when we open up with other people and examine the complexities of life together.

I've enjoyed myself so much that it reminded me of what a strong extrovert I am. Extroverts can be characterized as people who get energy from being around other people; this definitely applies to me. For me, quantity is doesn't always win over quality. One hearty conversation where we grapple in trying to understand life, ourselves and each other is more satisfying to me than a dozen small-talk conversations.

It's so difficult to see the world through eyes other than our own. I'm delighted when people push me to consider an alternative view, position or experience. It doesn't have to result in changing my stance or opinion on an issue. In fact, sometimes the best encounters are ones that make me reflect on my beliefs and leave me holding them more strongly. The beauty is that they have been pushed, prodded, questioned and tested. It's not always comfortable, but it's a much more real way to live life.

All of this is to say that I'm grateful for my friends and family - both new and old - who spur me on to step outside of myself. Thank you!

No comments: