Saturday, February 13, 2010

How to Eat an Elephant

Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One bite at a time.

It's an understatement to say we've had a lot of snow this winter. It has been the snowiest winter ever on record for DC. I'm a total snow-glutton, so it was heaven for me, especially since Peter got four days off. We shoveled night and day to dig out. I decided we should calculate how many pounds of snow we have moved in the past week. I suspect these are conservative estimates since we helped other people shovel. Here it goes:

Square Footage
Stoop and Sidewalk: 4ft wide x 60 ft length = 240 sq. ft
Two Parking Spots: 9ft wide x 20ft long x 2 (cars) = 360 sq. ft
Total square footage: 600 sq. ft

Weighing a bin of snow determined that the snow weighed 10.65 lbs/cubic foot

There were 24 inches of snow from the first storm and 8 inches from the second; 2 2/3 ft of total snow accumulation.

(600 sq. ft)*(2 2/3 ft)*(10.65 lbs/cubic foot) = 17,040 lbs of snow moved!


Pre-shoveling - cars, mailboxes, the road - none of them are very distinguishable.



Notice the height of the piles in comparison to the car and to the house windows.



An average adult elephant weighs around 12,000 lbs. I guess it's an understatement to say we know how to eat an elephant.

2 comments:

Kate said...

And who says you don't need math in real life?

What a fun word problem!

I love reading your blog :)
Great pictures too.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that you figured this out...I Was in DC briefly this weekend for a bridal shower and had to help shovel a parking spot out....and I was pondering this EXACT question!! How much snow did we move and how much did it weigh? Now, I have the answer!!

Your next challenge shoudl be to figure out how many calories you burned moving it all...