Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cracking Me Up

Desmond has been a riot this week in talking. I assume that since all kids are cute when they learn to talk, people don't want to hear my stories. Someone encouraged me to share them anyway...

-AANA - The American Association of Nurse Anesthetists sponsor NPR. We were listening one night at dinner and I realized "anesthetists" is a really difficult word. I tried saying it out loud. Desmond broke into giggles at my feeble attempt. He tried saying it out loud. Not much worse than me. For the next bit, we took turns practicing our "anesthetists" and our giggling.



- Actually - It's his new favorite word. Anytime he wants to do something that we just said "no" to, he breaks out "actually."
Des: Ride a bus, Mommy?
Me: Not today Desmond.
Des: (sternly with serious face) Actually, ride a bus.

-Thank You - I'm trying to give Des a bit more freedom and not always hold his hand in public when there is no imminent danger. As we left CVS today, a very tired looking middle-aged woman was leaving right in front of us. She half-heartedly held the door open for me. I don't think she saw Desmond below. I mumbled, "thank you." Desmond proceeded to chase after the lady saying, "tank you! tank you! tank you!" While she didn't know how to respond (after all, when do you actually address a toddler you don't know as a person?), she couldn't help but break into a big smile. I think he made my day and hers.

3 comments:

LKBrazil said...

Oh how I'd love to have him chase after me saying "tank you, tank you, tank you"!!!

Kate said...

This one cracked me up ... particularly the 'Actually' one. Sounds like a sound argument to me! "Actually, ride a bus."

Kate said...

(Actually just made Ryan laugh out loud too. :)