Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why?

Once upon a time, long long ago before I had a preschooler, I couldn't understand why parents would get complain about their child asking "why" a lot. I mean, "why" is one of the best questions out there!

I'm really enjoying all of Desmond's "why" questions, but they do get exhausting. For instance at the end of a long day, our conversation ranged across questions like:

- Are people in Afghanistan nice?
- Why do we buy our yogurt? (Grandma makes hers)
- Why would people loan other people their stuff?

At this last question, worn out, I muttered, "I don't know." Desmond stopped everything, glared at me and said, "Mom you DO know. You know everything. Please don't say 'I don't know.' I REALLY need to know the answers."

How can that not warm your heart? I'm trying to suck it up and give thoughtful answers.

His "joking" lecture face.

4 comments:

Amy said...

His response CRACKED ME UP! It's as though he's trying to reason with you WHY you absolutely MUST impart your knowledge to him.

I also love the "you know everything." Because...well, you do. Wink!

Allyson said...

I have a feeling that Desmond's "why's" are way beyond my answering abilities. Great questions!

I still get the "why's", but now Emily has a teacher and a neighbor boy who know everything. I'm no longer at the top of the list...I may not even be near the top.

Fr. Ellis said...

Funny.. I'm working on a philosophical anthropology paper right now contrasting the virtue of wonder with the vice of curiosity.. I'll let you know what I turn out!

Amy B. said...

Jeff and Desmond--what a duo!